Saturday, May 6, 2017

Week 18 Review: Guilty Pleasures

From Goodreads:
Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars…

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires—and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer… 

In a world where vampires, zombies and werewolves have been declared legal citizens of the United States, Anita Blake is an "animator" – a profession that involves raising the dead for mourning relatives. But Anita is also known as a fearsome hunter of criminal vampires, and she's often employed to investigate cases that are far too much for conventional police. But as Anita gains the attention of the vampire masters of her hometown of St Louis, she also risks revealing an intriguing secret about herself – the source of her unusual strength and power.

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book-it's just, that I didn't enjoy it as much as the Merry Gentry series. And I think the reason is two-fold. First of is that it didn't hook me as much as the Merry Gentry series did. And second off is that this book was published earlier in her career, and pretty much everything gets better with practise. So I'm hoping that I enjoy the future books in this series better!

There's a lot of books about vampires. But in this world, there's also animators and zombies and ghouls. So yeah, that was really cool! The vampires are a big part of this book, given that Anita is forced to look into the deaths, but there are plenty of books to deal more with being an animator!

These characters were really interesting! Anita is a bit peculiar, she's a product of her experiences, which include almost being killed by a vampire, raising the dead, and that's left it's mark on her. And then there was Jean-Claude. Very interesting! Apparently, he was almost written out of the series, but yeah that he wasn't!

Solving the mystery was pretty difficult, given who her "clients" were. And Anita does an excellent job, given the circumstances. But yeah, it's the start of a very long-lived series, and so there's plenty more where this came from!

I did really enjoy this book, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the books in her other series!

Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1
Read: May 5th, 2017
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2017 Book!
Publisher: Penguin Group/Jove
Published: October 1st 1993
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!